Saturday, March 30, 2013

2013 Refashion #4: Spring Silk Chiffon Blouse



Earlier today I completed my spring silk chiffon refashion. I can breathe easier now, and hopefully become more productive in the coming week for the remainder of the Essential Top Sew-A-Long that's concluding on April 7.



As a recap (previously blogged here):
The original garment was my 5-6 years old long dress from Zara Basic. It's silk chiffon, empire waisted with spaghetti straps and (originally) lined with acetate lining.

I wanted the look of View D, but without hem band, and short flutter sleeves (since I have to consider the available yardage here). For the sleeves, I used the pattern for View B's sleeves but left out the band. No need to accentuate my biceps with a band there methinks ;)

The pattern didn't come with pieces nor instructions for lining, so that added up to the time of thinking, plotting and whatnot (not including pattern resizing/alterations that came way before). I basically  just follow the instruction for adding the back bodice button placket.




Notice that the neckline gathers are not uniform? Bigger gathers on the right side (colored side) than the one on the left (white side)... Oh well... 

The collar is also not the same as the pattern. It's shorter/thinner, not  gathered and pieced with the back (loop-buttoned) section of the original garment.



The sleeve was 1) pieced - not enough fabric to cut as one, and 2) fully lined before attached to bodice.


Hemming was tricky since I had to hem the main fabric and lining together. I hide the hem stitching from showing on the outside by catching it to the lining side only... Kinda ripply no?

These shank buttons were thrifted, and was sewn onto a thrifted cardigan last year but I unpick them from the cardigan (the cardigan needs regular flat buttons). For the loops, I used the spaghetti strap of the original garment.


It fits "perfectly" enough (lol). In my book that means I feel comfy and not worry that my bits are unflattering-ly showcased. I would definitely be wearing this a lot. For the next make of this look, I would add more (will start with an inch) to the shoulder seams though to make space for the french seams.

Kinda thinking that white pants would be nice with this blouse... Maybe I can find one at the thrift store... I am going to make my very first cardigan top for my next 2013 Essential Top... More on this later.

;),
Far

p/s: Happy Easter to all who are observing the holiday :)

Linking on to Refashion Co-op, Recycled Fashion and Cation Design's March Stashbusting!

24 comments:

  1. What a lovely refashion!
    Well done!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far, this has to be the best refashion you've done. The collar and the addition of the thrifted buttons are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am EXTREMELY impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that thing is gorgeous! I must make that blouse. I'm putting your pictures up on the blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! It's a nice style pattern I think, I'm definitely going to make another one, and make sure that the collar proportion to my neck (which is ahem not long and graceful as a swan's) like this version - thinner than the pattern....

      Delete
  5. That turned out marvelously! Whoa! Makes you ready for spring for sure! It would look adorable here in the Philippines, too! Good job!

    Kelley of Kelley Highway~
    (another fashionista from Refashion Co-Op)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kumusta Kelley :) welcome to my page and commenting. thank you! So glad that spring is finally here!!

      Delete
  6. Hello Faye, you have done a brilliant job with that top. You are so lucky to have found a dress in silk chiffon, and this top is just perfect for that sort of fabric and so nice and cool to wear. Its a credit to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz :) I have at least 2 bins of my old clothes (that I can't bear to give away) still waiting to be refashioned! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow that top is lovely, so much better than the original dress. I'm really inspired to have a go with a silk dress I own (was too afraid of refashioning with silk) but you've made it so wearable for spring/summer. Happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, welcome to my blog and I am so happy that you are commenting :) I think the Top is more me than the original dress so will get worn much often... :) it took me a while too before cutting into my silks, but I think I learn more as I do/make, so sometimes we just have to give it a go. But I suggest that if it is a treasured piece of clothing, you go with a pattern that you have made before and address the fit issues. Often I forget this part...

      Delete
  8. The top is great. I love how you refashioned, which is one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't fashioning great? I love it too. Do you have a blog where you share your projects? If you (and the other commenters here) have a blog, I will check them out soon and follow) :)

      Delete
  9. You did an impressive job! Lovely blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly!!! So sweet of you. And welcome to my page and following!

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful, Far! Your eye for refashioning is nothing short of amazing! Very, very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L! I'm learning a bunch with each project :) this one has more real estate/yardage thanks to the skirt part, so only the fabric handling gave me headache. when it's all said and done, only small pieces remain. I'm glad I waited until now and this style before I cut it. (Last worn almost 3 yrs ago)

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing on Recycled Fashion Finds

    ReplyDelete
  12. so good! the fabric is beautiful and the little details like the gathered collar and the little bitty buttons! very cool and much easier to wear than the dress

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by and reading my page. I love hearing from you, so thank you for taking the time to comment, I truly appreciate it! :)